New Zealand encourages young travelers to explore work opportunities and travel adventures…
Currently about 42 countries throughout the world have work and holiday agreements with New Zealand. These work and holiday agreements and limits are expanding each year, so if you miss out this year don’t sweat just be patient and try again you may get lucky next year.
It is most important to remember to plan make sure to have sensible plans around emergency contingencies; extra money, credit card in case of emergency, comprehensive travel insurance. Most of all do not wait until your money runs out before searching for jobs while jobs are plentiful – it can take several weeks even months to find suitable work.
In addition to the traditional work like seasonal fruit picking and packing jobs, don’t forget that technology can also help with work and travel opportunities. In fact many people are already earning full-time and part-time money working on-line. This can be a perfect solution for some travelers there are a variety of legitimate ways to earn money online. For more information about making money online you can get started here.
You can also apply for your working holiday visa online
All applications for working holiday schemes must be made using the online system, except for those who are already in New Zealand and are on a 12-month Canada or United Kingdom Working Holiday Scheme (WHS) work visa.
When you have submitted your application successfully online, you will normally receive an email or automated message within five working days, either approving your visa or asking for more information.
You will Need to login/register and it is very important that you do not forget your log in details as you may be required to access copy and print you visa for every employer you work for. This is what your visa should look like.
If you are on a Canada or United Kingdom WHS work visa and you wish to apply for the balance of the 23-month period allowed, you must apply manually (see the steps to apply).
- Even if you hold dual citizenship – You must only apply under the working holiday scheme that matches the passport you intend to use to travel to New Zealand (for example, if you hold a Taiwan passport, you must apply under the Taiwan Working Holiday Scheme). Applying under a working holiday scheme that does not match your passport will result in your application being declined and may be viewed as providing false and misleading information. This may have an adverse impact on any future visa applications you submit.
- Do not practice lodging your application by applying under another scheme.
- The use of automated tools (including the use of scripts, web-crawlers, robots or screen-scrapers) to access, attempt access, or in any way apply to the Working Holiday Online Services is unauthorized.
Refer to the working holiday scheme questions and answers section to check if you have to submit a General Medical Certificate (INZ 1007) PDF and/or Chest X-ray Certificate (INZ 1H096) PDF. After you apply you will receive an automated message telling you when your medicals must be received by Immigration New Zealand — within 15 or 20 consecutive days from the date the message is sent, depending on your scheme.
Partners and dependent children
If you have a partner and/or dependent children, they cannot be granted visas based on your WHS visa. They will need to apply in their own right by submitting a separate application.
Available schemes from about 42 countries
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
- Singapore (work exchange programme)
- United Kingdom
- United States of America