Most common questions from travellers looking for work in Te Puke, N. Z.
Q I need IRD Tax number – can I apply for it in Te Puke?
A Yes applying for IRD number in Te Puke is easy – we can help you
- We recommend applying at Cavannah Motors our local A.A. Agent 5 minutes walk from our hostel, it is FREE can take 2 – 3 weeks to get it or BEST is to pay $10 ask for a ‘Fast Track Service’ takes about 48 Hours to get the IRD Tax number
Q Can I open a bank account in Te Puke?
- We can also give you a ‘proof of address letter’ required to open a bank account accepted by most banks in Te Puke – except for KiwiBank who will require a letter from a government agency.
Q I have visitors or tourist only visa can i work?
A NO – Employers require evidence that you are legally entitled to work, most commonly evidence include;
- Working Holiday Visa / Permit
- Open work permit
- NZ and Australian citizens / residents (passport copy required as evidence)
- Student Visa holders may work up to 20 during study periods and full-time hours in study holiday periods evidence required)
- Can check with www.immigration.govt.nz if any other temporary or emergency visa is available to allow you to work.
Q I have not arrived in New Zealand yet – can I arrange a guaranteed job before I arrive?
A No – People need to already be located in NZ as the employers will want to meet or start workers with very short notice.
Q Immigration says I can apply for a work visa but need a job offer letter , can the employers provide this letter?
A NO – Most of this work is seasonal work and is temporary in nature so does not qualify for applying for work permits.
- If however you are staying here and you find a regular or specialised job that meets the requirements for applying for work permit, then some employers may support applicants and provide the job offer letters. This is beyond the scope of Te Puke Backpackers help in finding seasonal work opportunities.
Q I do not have a car – can I still work?
A YES – We have a number of people who stay and get work – some with cars – some people share transport and gas money to others to get to the same work place.
A few employer may also arrange transport – this is the exception – not the rule.
Q I have a sleeper-van can still get a job and stay in my van.
A We need people checked-into our hostel so the agreement is that in return for helping find work you stay in our hostel. a few people have preferred to sleep in their sleeper-vans but still pay the dorm rate.
Q Can you guarantee me a job?
A This is mostly seasonal work – there are no guarantees – but we have an excellent history in helping people find work during their stay.
Q How long will it take to find a job?
A This depends on the time of year / season etc, we recommend people allow 2 weeks to find job starts as they move around New Zealand looking for jobs. In our hostel most people find jobs within 7 – 10 days, however it is also common to find immediate job starts as well.
Q I am a girl – can I work?
A YES – we have a lot of girls who do very well working here
Q I am short – can I work?
A YES – Sometimes there are jobs that are more suited for taller people say over 180 cm but most jobs are suitable for people 160 – 190 cm tall… occasionally people who are much shorter – or much taller are also ok this depends on the job.
????? If there are questions not covered here please ask in the comments section below – wander around our website chances are you may discover the answers you are looking for.